a little to add for It gets better...

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela

A lot of people are sharing their coming out story and I figured it was time to share mine. A lot of people who know me do not know this story, even some of my family do not understand truly what happened. I remind everyone reading the below passage that if you do not like what you have read or feel like you would like to talk more or are having trouble coming out, please feel free to comment below or email me at @ sbachelder1@gmail.com....

The story starts at 15, and in high school...I was a freshman and unsure of really who I was or what I wanted to be.. One day I was sitting with my normal friends at lunch and I noticed another student had joined our group. He was a sophmore and was openly gay.. I had never seen him around the school before that day so it was kind of odd that he was with our group.. After lunch, I approached him and we talked for a while about different things. I asked him what it was like being openly gay, how it was for him...He shared so much information with me and that really popped a lot details and signs into my head. I spent the next few weeks really thinking about it. I knew that I was attracted to guys, that was a given. I was the boy in the group of people that wouldn't stare at the girl walking by, I would stare at the girls boyfriend. So one day sitting with my friend melissa and kristi, I told them I needed to talk. So after everyone left the area, I came out for the first time. It was easier then I thought. They were understanding and really kind of already knew. So after a few days, like a typical high school, it started flying around that I was in fact gay. Some of my friends were cool about it, some of them distanced themselves from me and other kids became brutal towards me. I was ready for this though. I was ready for how the kids were treating me. What I wasn't ready for is the reaction that my family had towards me. I had always thought that in the end, my family would love me no matter what and who I am wouldn't change that. Granted, I did not have the relationship with my family that most people do, growing up in a foster home does that but I still thought they would be ok. I was wrong. My mom and dad did not take it well at all. They yelled, they got mad, it was like I was a different person in their eyes, like I wasn't their son. Sometimes these days, I still feel like that. My mom who I felt cared the most, has seemed to be taking the hardest. I don't expect them to understand. Its not like I am sick.. Sometimes I feel like I am alone out there. Alone with no family behind me. I have a ton of supportive friends, but having my family reacting like that killed me. Made me so upset that I started thinking suicide... For personal reasons, thats a story that I will chose not to share.. But fast forwarding a bit... My life started to get better. I went into the military, I went to school, I feel like im becoming something successful.. I made a move in life that was needed...Away from my family and down to a large city.. A city of accepting people. In the end of things, it all got better.. I have some of the best friends anyone could ask for, I have a pretty amazing person in my life right now and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I just want everyone to know....It gets better... Even through it all....The way life is gets better, maybe not right away but eventually....IT GETS BETTER....

Comments

  1. It does get better...too many similarities to Michael's experiences at 15/16. This "mum" loves you both! We all have stuff than happens that seems like it's the end of the world, but if we wait it out, it does get better. I know this first hand this past year!! Glad to hear you are so happy Sean.
    "Mumma" Deb. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An over night in the metro boston area in EMS..

Dear dispatch.....